Thursday, December 1, 2011

Computer

So, we go this new computer. Our old one was....um.... dead. Yea, it was so old; (How old was it?) it was so old that a simple process caused the computer to send us a pop-up to say it was using high memory capacity. Yea, checking email, the fan would kick into high gear and "internet explorer is using high memory" would pop up. wow, how about opening any internet page..."internet explorer is using high memory." Fine I'll just play minesweeper..."minesweeper is using high memory." Ok, maybe not that bad. yea, um, so anyway Brent and I have been putting off getting a new computer because we're cheap. Yea, our last computer was refurbished and didn't even have a DVD reader. Meaning anytime we wanted to download a digital copy we had to boot up one of our old laptops (circa 2000- seriously Brent's old laptop runs on windows ME) hook it to the internet, let it read the digital copy disk, etc,. to download the file, which once you got to the actual downloading it took about 45 minutes. Then transfer that file to the main computer. Two hours after that the file would be transfered; we could reconnect the main computer to the internet, and Viola! it's as if we had a regular computer. So yea, we've been watching the Costco ads, and found a laptop that we liked. Do you remember when you had to give up stuff to have the convience of portability? Heh yea right (ok yea tablets and I-everythings have already proven that, but still WOW) This laptop is better than our old computer, even the screen is better, plus it not only has a DVD drive, but it can play Blu-ray! Wow! Not to mention wireless internet capabilities (yup, typing this on my bed, how awesome is that)(minus the cats jumping into my lap, which is where the keyboard is, or licking the screen, or eating the cord.... Did I mention I got 2 cats in June? I don't know if my cheap $25 Walmart Christmas tree is going to survive this year). Plus this computer came with Microsoft included, Not that crappy trial stuff, but "here, have the whole thing, and thanks for buying a Dell" Whish I have to say is going to be SWEET. The last computer had a dilapidated version of Office 2000 that tried to reinstall itself everytime I opened it, but the default was Office 7 but we didn't get more than the 60 day trial, so we couldn't touch any file that opened through Word until we saved it and then opened the file through office 2000. If we tried just opening the file (like clicking on the icon on the desktop,) it would try to use 07 grrr, pain. and no, I couldn't have just bought the 07 version because like I said before, we're cheap. THe other version worked just fine after you canceled the install. :) Yea, so long blog short. New computer nice. I might even blog now that the computer isn't in Tristan's room. He's a light sleeper, and so it really limited my computer time. Now I just have to wait and see if I'll keep my promise to myself that I'll pick back up my writing now that I'm not stuck on the uncomfortable piano bench (yea we had the old computer on the top of our electric piano).

No comments: