Sunday, June 6, 2010

Strawberries!

'Tis the season where I am seeing red and green! No, didn't you read the title it has nothing to do with christmas! :)
What started out last year as a "hey, why not" has become an experience.
A lady in our neighborhood announced in church that she had a lot of strawberry shoots that could be used as startes that she was wanting to part with. I stopped by and got a few. I saw how they took over her yard, so they got a secluded spot in my front planter.
I took six starters and planted them, giving them room to spread later. Don't they look cute?
These two spent the first season dying and then ressurecting themselves, so they didn't produce any fruit the first year.
Look flowers! Oh how cute!!!
I got a few strawberries last year, no more than about twenty the whole season, and I was out of town for the week that most of them bloomed. sheesh.
So yea, I wasn't expecting this year's turn out. First off here's how they grew.
Actually this is an old picture, They now take up the whole area alotted to them, you cant see any dirt inbetween them, and they are trying to send shoots across my walkway and over the rocks, so I get to trim those once a week. The strawberries started getting ripe about a week ago and I'd get five or six edible ones a day (meaning no bugs or birds would get to them first). Kit would eat those and want more.
Well, I got smart and started picking the strawberries a day before they're perfect to eat and let them ripen on the counter over night. That way I get a lot more than the birds.
Today's count me 20, critters 6. Not bad.
The blue bowl was yesterday's now edibles and the strainer is what I got today.
As for Squeaker,
He could care less.
I have started to really like gardening. I have now planted roses, which are about to bloom, I have 5 trees, four rose bushes/ shrubs, some random flower bulbs that I got for mother's day from the ward, and I'm tilling and preparing the soil for some corn, peas, cantelope, and pumpkins.
Just so you know I have tried several times in many ways to fix the layout of this stupid thing, sorry.

1 comment:

Steve said...

A real garden. I am sooo jealous. I'd love to have fresh strawberries every day. Unfortunately here in the deseret, thie score is usually, animals (including lizards and ants) 90% (they eat them green), heat 9.9%, family 0.1% (if you are willing to eat them even greener than the animals.